State Administrative Tribunal logo
State Administrative Tribunal
State Administrative Tribunal

Vocational Regulation

SAT regulates a large range of vocations such as architects, medical professionals, teachers and legal practitioners. There are three main types of proceedings:

  • disciplinary complaints brought by vocational bodies against members of the vocation or occupation.
  • reviews of decisions made by regulatory bodies regarding licences to operate in an occupation.
  • reviews of decisions regarding fidelity and compensation funds.

SAT does not deal with vocational matters relating to prison officers, police officers, emergency services personnel and auctioneers. For information on these vocations, contact the relevant Government department or industry association.

Where do I go if I have a complaint about a regulated occupation?

You must contact the relevant vocational board or body and ask them to investigate the matter. The board will decide if the matter should be referred to SAT. For example, contact the Legal Practice Board if you have a complaint regarding a legal practitioner.

How SAT handles vocational applications

Once the application is accepted by SAT it will usually be listed for a directions hearing at which the matter will be sent to a final hearing or referred to mediation or compulsory conference.

The parties will be contacted for any additional information required and sent a Notice of Hearing.

Last updated: 22 August 2023

[ back to top ]