Strata Titles

There may be occasional problems associated with strata living, but most of those problems, such as disagreements with neighbours, also exist in the non-strata, freehold title environment. The advantage of strata living is that mechanisms such as by-laws, the Western Australian Land Information Authority (Landgate) and SAT exist to assist the reconciliation of disputes.

If you as an individual consider that your strata complex is not being managed properly by the strata council; then you may apply to SAT to have the matter resolved.

More information is available in the Strata Titles guide from Landgate.

SAT is not able to provide advice on strata matters, other than how to complete applications for lodgement to SAT.

Parties are encouraged to resolve the dispute between them or via mediation. This can ensure the dispute is resolved without further action and allows both parties to gain an appreciation of the issues under dispute and decreases the likelihood of ongoing conflict between the parties.

Once an application is brought to SAT, mediation is regularly used by SAT to assist the parties in resolving the issues in dispute.

Can I bring my dispute straight to SAT?

Before an application may be made to SAT, you must have complied with any procedure for dispute resolution contained in the by-laws of the strata company. More information is available in the Strata Titles guide from Landgate.

Strata Titles Information Guide

You can find guidance and information that may assist you in resolving Strata Titles issues on the eCourts Portal of Western Australia at eCourts Portal of WA. This process may also offer some assistance if you need to still bring a Strata Titles dispute to SAT.

Applying to SAT

If you make an application to the Tribunal you must also submit the requried documents. This includes the Certificate under Section 77B and the documents specified in Practice Note 5 - Proceedings under the Strata Titles Act 1985. Apply to SAT.

What types of strata titles orders can SAT make?

Some of the orders which SAT may make are:

Further information

More information is available in the Strata Titles guide from Landgate. Note that the guide is not a legal document, and the Strata Titles Act 1985 should be the source of any legal submissions.

Last updated: 14-Feb-2018

[ back to top ]