Goods and Services
SAT has jurisdiction under the following pieces of legislation and has powers including:
Chattel Securities Act 1987
- to review decisions by the Commissioner in relation to compensation for the extinguishment of a security interest or the purchase of registrable goods.
Energy Coordination Act 1994
- to review decisions by the Authority in relation to retail or trading licences and retail market schemes;
- to review decisions by the Director in relation to orders by inspectors against network operators.
Fair Trading Act 2010
- to make an order in relation to a contravention of the applicable prescribed code of practice by a person who has carried on business.
Fire and Emergency Services Act 1998
- to review decisions by the Minister about the purpose for which land is used for the purpose of the emergency services levy.
Fire Brigades Act 1942
- to review decisions by the FES Commissioner directing the installation of certain fire fighting appliances in premises or the abatement of danger present in premises.
Food Act 2008
- to review decisions by the CEO or an enforcement agency in relation to food businesses, such as the registration of a food business or a certificate of clearance, and compensation from the making of an emergency order.
- to review decisions by the CEO in relation to the approval of laboratories, analysts and food safety auditors for carrying out analysis of samples
Hire-Purchase Act 1959
- To review decisions by the Commissioner in relation to non-conforming hire-purchase agreements or giving consent for an owner to exercise any power of taking possession of goods.
Liquor Control Act 1988
- to review decisions by the Director (CEO of the Department) with respect to proceedings before the Director.
Major Events (Aerial Advertising) Act 2009
- to review decisions by the Minister to refuse to declare an event to be an event for the purposes of the Act.
Tobacco Products Control Act 2006
- to review decisions by the CEO of the Department in relation to licences to sell tobacco products
- On allegation by the CEO, to determine disciplinary action proceedings against a licence holder.
Last updated: 2 June 2022
[ back to top ]